Gibraltar Or Bust

SUNDAY 15th JULY 2007

In the morning, we were up and away. If the luggage fell apart now, I could afford to ditch it. Next stop – home! As we got back onto the A1, within 5 miles we passed services with no less than 3 cheapo lodges! Isn’t it always the way?

We decided that a serious breakfast was called for and pulled in to the services. The coffee bar was open but we wanted something a little more substantial than that. We waited for a minute or two, on our own, at le grille. Eventually, a little French girl came out, took our order and cooked up three French versions of a Full English. The till in the grill area was closed so we went to pay at the coffee bar with our trays of food. We were waved away with lots of Gallic shrugs and jabbering.

I don’t know what it is, but food always tastes better when it’s free!
We were soon past Lille and on the way to Calais. My bike decided to run out of fuel in the main tank so I switched to reserve. I could manage 20 miles on reserve and the services were 25 miles away! When I ran out, we had to use Henry’s primus stove to transfer fuel from his and Bill’s tank to mine.

Another few miles and we were in Calais and we managed to find a truck stop garage that was open. We were a little early for the Tunnel but, apparently, that isn’t necessarily a problem. We checked in and managed to get assigned to an earlier crossing. Through various checkpoints and controls, into the train and up through it to the front with several other bikes.

CHECKPOINT CHARLIE

IN THE TRAIN


After what seemed like only a few minutes, we were back out in English Daylight. I looked out of a window and saw the blackest clouds you could imagine! We made our way out of the train and made our way (on the correct side of the road) towards the M20 and homeward bound. We stopped at the services and got a bacon sarnie. The clouds that I had seen had become bigger and more menacing. But what did we care? No more camping!

As we got towards Heathrow it started. At first a few spots, then more and then a full on deluge. The traffic on the M4 was at walking pace. Within seconds we were soaked to the skin. Henry had his waterproofs on but I think that even he had sprung a leak here and there. We pulled in to Reading Services to take stock and decided that, if the bikes would do it, so would we. It wasn’t cold, after all; just very wet.

Bill and Henry took junction 15 - Swindon East to head up to Cheltenham past the Air Balloon pub. I carried on alone and as I approached Leigh Delamare Services just past the Chippenham junction. I was trying to work out if I had enough fuel to make it the last 30 miles. I decided that I might as well fill up. As my back wheel crossed the line from the carriageway onto the slip road, the bike spluttered and I had to switch to reserve. My bike was a sentient being, I’m now convinced. A last tank of gas and onwards.

Within the hour I was stood in a hot shower still buzzing from the adrenalin.

A trip like this, as long as there are no disasters, is something to behold. But to be back home, dried out, showered and with the one you love, really takes some beating.



GAME OVER MAN!



STATSISTICS - DAY 17
342 miles Roye - Home
4066 miles in total
Average 240 miles per day




TOTAL STATISTICS
Distance travelled – 4066 miles
Petrol used – 262.73litres (57.80 Gallons)
Miles per gallon – 70.34
Total saddle time – 96.15 hours
Average speed – 43.60 m.p.h.


Bike drops
Bill – 5
Henry – 3
Me – 3
Feeling of accomplishment – PRICELESS!