Gibraltar Or Bust

EPILOGUE

The trip, for me, was the realisation of a dream that I had harboured for many years. Back in the 70’s, I worked for what is now known as B.T. Andy McCormack, a friend of mine was planning an epic trip. He was to fly to San Francisco with his then girlfriend, now wife, Jean. He had taken his four week leave entitlement for the year, carried two weeks over from the previous year and was allowed to anticipate one week from the following year making 7 weeks in total. His request to be allowed to anticipate a couple of days 'sick' was not allowed.

He bought a Harley in San Fransisco and rode it back to New York. They flew back home and awaited the bike which followed by sea. I was green with envy. It was the late 70’s and I had a young family and commitments that made such thoughts pipe-dreams. I don’t care too much for Harleys but I feel that this trip has given me the same stupid grin that Mac had when he got home.

Leslie, Henry’s wife voiced concern, over dinner in Ayomonte, over how Henry and I had got on considering, as she put it “that you are two Alpha Males” (pass the bananas, please Henry).

Well, I have to say that we never argued once. We may have disagreed about which route to take and Bill and I did make a sport out of suggesting one thing and waiting for Henry to go for the exact opposite, as is his wont; but that was all good fun. Personally, I class it as some sort of achievement. I can’t remember the last time I didn’t have at least one argument on holiday!

People “umm and ahh” about whether they should fit crash bars onto their Enfields. Let me tell you, regardless of the amount of protection they offer when you slip off, the crash bars make getting the bike upright again a much more practical proposition. I personally have had two friends who lost a leg in bike accidents. I don’t know that crash bars would have prevented their loss but I can’t see that they would have made it any worse.

Would I do it all again? You bet. With one or two provisos:

1. I wouldn’t look to cover as many miles in as many days. It’s OK doing 2 – 300 miles in a day but you should then enjoy the local environment for a day, or two.

2. I took enough changes of clothes for a clean change every day without having to wash anything until I got back. Big mistake. When your luggage space is restricted, you can plan to need no more than 3 changes of clothing for however long you go; washing as required.

3. Get a GOOD camp site book or even two. France has a good network of Municipal sites that are as cheap as chips.

4. Keep the numbers down. The more people you have, the less progress you will make each day.

5. Have a plan B. Always take out some good holiday insurance with repatriation. Mine, with the A.A. cost me £97. In the event of breakdowns that couldn’t be fixed, they would ship the bike back, give me a hire car to carry on and provide £45 per night for the remaining holiday as additional expenses. It would almost have been worth breaking down.

6. And finally, if Bill’s going, make sure he’s in the middle.



This trip wouldn't have been the same without my two Amigos and I thank them for their companionship and their support.

Also, to have somewhere "solid" to aim for with the comfort of a roof and a hot meal and good company makes the trip easier on the sanity. For this I thank Mike, Jan and Brendan.

The hospitality and interest in our travels shown by Bart and his family were most welcome; thank you all.

Finally, thank you for reading this and please feel free to leave any comments that you may have.

To leave a comment, please click on "comment" below

22 comments:

Frances said...

Well done Tim. The blog with the pictures are very good.

Anonymous said...

Excellent and well done to all participants. My wife and I have toured extensively in the Western European countries and know many of the places you mention. However, being 69 years of age, we cheat and tow a Honda XBR500 behind our motorcaravan, on a trailer.

p.s. I'm an Enfield 'Sportsman' owner at home.

Regards.

D.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment Derek. Looks like you've gone for luxury times 2

Regards

Tim

Oilfield Den. said...

fantastic account of a realized dream,did similar myself a few years ago, agree with your comment about spending time at interesting location, instead of riding every day, And using accomadation where possible, instead of wasting valuble drinking/sight seeing time puting tents up, Cheers and thanks for sharing, Oilfield Den. in Leicestershire.

Anonymous said...

Nice one,good company,good bikes,good crack,what more could one ask,thanks for sharing it with with me,safe riding,john.

Biker BT said...

Great blog and beautiful pics !

Cheers!
BT.

Unknown said...

Three Men in a Boat eat your heart out!

I waited till I had time to read this at my leisure and I was gald that I did. I was in tears of laughter at times.

I could see my late father enjoying such a wonderful tale and that made it even more pleasurable.

Thankyou for being so erudite, amusing and, of course, so British.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to all for your comments, keep them coming, good or bad, their always welcome

Regards

Tiny Tim

Anonymous said...

Thank you Tim for taking the time and effort to write this brilliant Blog of The Three Amigos trip on Enfields and i'm proud to have you all as founder members of the "Lonely Fan Club" who have proven that with careful maintainence and trust in your mount you really can ride them further than the three or four mile's that some owners do.
Where are you going next year?

Anonymous said...

Excellento!

Laughed for the last 60 minutes at least!

Wish I could have come too, just to see Bill fall off! Ha-Ha!

Seriously! Mucho Respect Lads!

Steve E

PS you should have stopped at my place on the way home for beer and food at least! Remember next time!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant.
The simple honesty of the narrative and the pictures make this one of the better reads about rides in a long time.
Cheers
Pete (Aus)

Anonymous said...

Nice read! Also, since I just bought a new 2007 RE Bullet 500 Classic its nice to read about people using them for a longer trip.I'm just doing the break in and live in the USA (don't worry-I'll stay off the US freeways!).

Unknown said...

Hi great adventure, and a great read; got the link from the french enfield site ( we live in france) have 2 enfields one greevesfield 535 and a thunderbolt of 1969.
maybe see you at the french meeting this year ?

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

Very nice article! I had bookmarked your page to read at leisure and it was nice I did that... enjoyed reading it very much. You have nice style of writing. Felt as if I was present all along your trip.

I'm from India and also happen to be an Enfielder like you.

Regards,
Ajay

Anonymous said...

Well done Lads.....when's the next trip then? One of the best if not the best Diy trips I've read about brill write up, look forward to the next

TDMalcolm

John S..... said...

Great story well writtena and loved the humour. Have had an Enfield Bullet since 1st June this year and would love to do a trip of some sort on it. Looking at your luggage I think you overdid your changes of clothing! Anyway, well done.

http://journey-with-johns.blogspot.com

José Cardona said...

Hi!

I've been reading your adventures all the way from Albion to Gib and back (I have it printed).
And I'm loving each page of this new book of mine!
I'm also an avid classic bike tourer (9 years on Harleys) and have been twice in Gib, 2003 and 2005.
Hope to be back soon, I really love it!
The thing is the RE's importer for Portugal is located in my city (www.luzeiro.com.pt) and I'm thinking about buying a RE.
I really love the classic model and the new classic, but have some troubles with the modern looks of the Electra X.
Over all, is the RE a good touring bike? Right know I'm at the point you guys get to the Ayamonte border, so I still have some questions:
a) Why was that bike consuming so much oil?
b) why did you guys did so few miles per day (on my previous bikes it use normal to do 1000 kms in one day)?
c) Did the 3 bikes survive the adventure?
d) Is it easy and cheap to fit modern/light panniers and top cases (per eg. Givi or Krauser) to this bikes (didn't found the prices on your webpage)?

I hope sometime in the future we can share some miles on bike!

You can find some pics of myself in my blog: http://www.josecardona.blogspot.com/

You can also find me on Classic Bikes forum as "theroadkingster".

Best regards!

José Cardona

uralmosti said...

I have been thinking of getting a bike and doing a road trip for a while. I then decided to get a Royal Enfield. I have seen the new Electra in a local store, however after pub meeting with friend have decided to check out older original model(s). I'm still presently looking. Then I stumbled upon this blog and thought that is what I want to do too. You have written an inspirational read, missed out the tedious bits where you must have felt quite grotty at times and focused on the humour, the camaraderie and the adventure, giving us clues to the motorbikes faults, flaws and shortcomings yet at the same time to its amazing durability and overall brilliance. I am familiar with some of the territory to which you visited and this makes that particular ride all the more appealing, if only as a prelude to something else! I may go alone - I have a desire to get away from it all for a while - a bit like going 'walk-about' I suppose, although I'm neither Abo or Oz (no offence guys)! The only bit that bothers me is whilst I understand bikes and mechanics and can weald tools like the next bloke, I run out of patience when the fix is not obvious and starts to get tricky and guessworky. This can lead to me chucking the toys out and cussing to such a level its unreal, and then I'll blame everyone but myself for all ills! (So this adventure could tech me a good deal of humility). I also dont like getting my hands dirty and when I do I'll obsesse about getting everything all clean and crisp thereafter. I'm beggining to think should a prat like me make this attempt (haha) - but I will. I have cycled London to Paris, Coast to Coast across Mexico and over the Andes mountains in Ecuador so have some experience to draw on, but I digress.
I wonder which model you guys would recommend and further insight into planning, preparation and what spares to take etcetera would be very very helpful.
I am quite keen to blog my way also. I feel I may have a story to tell, whether anyone is interested in reading it is quite another matter, but one never knows.
Thanks for sharing this experience with others, it has fueled my inspiration.

Matt Law said...

And then it happened...I nearly wet my pants laughing...great read,almost like being there,except that I don't have the numb arse,and my hands aren't tingling...I have three Enfields that run,a fourth in pieces,and am considering a fifth...I ride 10-15 miles every day,and am considering some short (100-200 mile) trips locally...your blog has certainly boosted my confidence about touring on the Enfields!Good job,ride safe,and happy motoring!

Anonymous said...

Great read & very funny too!

Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Looking into buying an Enfield and ran into your blog. Highly, highly amusing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim, a big "Thank you " from Germany!
I really enjoyed to read about your journey. It was like having a little holiday. Very funny, you have a good sense of humour:-)
I own a Bullet 500 since 15 years which has now 70000 kilometers on the clock.

All the best to you and your friends!
Cheers,
Ralf